[OS X TeX] TeX Live Utility: is the tlmgr an alternative?

Richard Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Sat Feb 6 16:09:34 CET 2021

Elliott Roper,

I appreciate this explanation, which is clearly from someone with a "Macintosh persuasion". Thanks.

However, the details aren't quite correct. TeXShop has been signed with a hardened runtime and notarized from the moment Apple required that, so TeXShop was indeed installed by MacTeX 2020. However, there is no way a notarized installer could "sneak unnotarized applications on each user's Mac." TeX Live Utility and LaTeXiT were usually there after installation because they remained from a previous installation. Brand new users had to download them separately. This problem goes away in 2021.

Richard Koch