[OS X TeX] TeX Live Utility: is the tlmgr an alternative?

John Collins jcc8 at psu.edu
Sat Feb 6 01:51:50 CET 2021

Hi,

On 2/5/21 4:42 PM, Denis Bitouzé wrote:

> In order to update the TeX packages, I used to advise the tlmgr (via the
> command line) instead of the TeX Live Utility but, recently, I was told
> by a PhD student that:
>
>    ┌────
>    │ sudo tlmgr update --self --all
>    └────
>
> does work any more. Since I can't test by myself, I'm asking here :)

This definitely works for me.  I've got the command running right now, on
TeXLive 2020 running under macOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra).

There's one thing that might cause an unwary user to have a problem.  Sudo
needs to be run from an administrator user account.  It won't work from an
ordinary non-administrative user account, and the error message is not very
informative.

John Collins