[OS X TeX] Spell checking

Warren Nagourney via MacOSX-TeX macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu
Thu Aug 19 20:59:54 CEST 2021

> On Aug 19, 2021, at 10:08 AM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 19, 2021, at 11:57 AM, Warren Nagourney via MacOSX-TeX <macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu> wrote:
>>
>> I have the latest TeX installation on an M1 MacBook Air using TeXshop and spell checking doesn't work properly. I had set it to correct spelling and recently it started doing very annoying things like capitalizing the first letter in a line and other things I didn’t want. I then turned off spell correcting and still found it annoying to get nagged about spelling errors which were inappropriate in a LaTeX environment. I turned spell checking back on and now it doesn’t work anywhere - if I deliberately misspell a word, it is not flagged.
>>
>> Any suggestions? Thanks!
>>
>> Warren Nagourney
>
> Howdy,
>
> Are you using the standard Apple Spell Checker? What are your setting in the Spell Checking section of the Source tab in TeXShop->Preferences? What are your settings in the Edit Menu for Substitutions (each items), Correct Spelling Automatically, Check Spelling While Typing? Did you make changins that involve spelling in System Preferences Keyboard tab?
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> herbs at wideopenwest.com

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/TeX/
>                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/

Thanks,

I do have everything related to spell checking set on the source tab (I use Apple’s spell checker) and both "check spelling" and "correct spelling" on the editor tab. I also had the capitalize setting on the keyboard preference (and have turned it off). I have the default for the substitutions in the edit menu (nothing set).

Still, when I deliberately misspell a word, nothing happens. OK, now it gives me the red underline, so I suppose it is back to working. The automatic capitalization was the annoying thing and I have turned it off so I can now use the “correct spelling” setting in TeXShop.

Thanks again. I guess it is fixed.

wn