[OS X TeX] External Editor Auto Preview Update

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Apr 17 23:44:04 CEST 2021

> On Apr 17, 2021, at 2:26 PM, Roussanka Loukanova <rl.stpuu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear All!
>
> I've updated to TeXLive 2021, and am testing it. TeXShop does great work when I typeset within it.
> Dick, thanks! Herb: thanks!
>
> I have the following problem between TexShop and Aquamacs:
>
> - in TexShop Preferences I've selected / checked:
> - Preview > External Editor > Automatic Preview Update
> - I have a test.tex file and its test.pdf opened in TeXShop.
> - I open the test.tex in Aquamacs, modify it and typeset it. Skim displays the updated test.pdf automatically
> - Preview.app updates test.pdf if pre-opened in it, after clicking on the pdf
> But:
> - TeXShop updates the source test.tex, and keeps in its Preview the old test.pdf
>
> How may I get that both the .tex and its .pdf get automatically updated, while typesetting in Aquamacs?

Howdy,

Is there a reason you want to typeset in Aquamacs and show both source and pdf in TeXShop?

 Some folks wan to edit in some editor and then typeset and display the pdf in TeXShop. I believe (I haven't tried this so other folks that do that might help better) you need both Preview->External Editor->Automatic Preview Update set and Source->On Startup->Configure for External Editor checked. But I'm not sure that's what you want.

> I noticed this problem while testing drawings with ghostscript. Aquamacs fails to typeset them, whatever way I try, including by XeLaTeX, which worked last month. Including Herb's test file. TeXShop typesets them finely, by Herb's GhostsciptTransparencyEngines.
>
> Best Regards,
> Roussanka

For TeX Live 2021 and Ghostscript 9.53.3 as supplied by MacTeX:

If you want to use latex->dvips->ps2pdf processing you must add the

-dALLOWPSTRANSPARENCY

option to ps2pdf.

If you want to use xelatex processing the you must have the

-output-driver="xdvipdfmx -i dvipdfmx-unsafe.cfg -q -E"

option added to the command line for xelatex.

Interestingly for TeX Live 2020 transparency for xelatex used to work but no longer does at the end of life. I won't go further.

How you do this in Aquamacs is beyond my knowledge of emacs.

herbs at wideopenwest.com