[OS X TeX] sudden stop

Nitecki, Zbigniew H. Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu
Tue Apr 13 22:06:44 CEST 2021

I’m totally flummoxed by the situation I am about to describe, and can’t even see how to provide a minimal example.But I do need help.

I am developing a notes/book project, currently at about 200+ pages, using the memoir document style.
Yesterday, I finished a certain section, and today went to continue by proofreading what I had added last.
after correcting a few typos, noticed that whereas the page count (in preview) had been 215, it was now 202.
So I went and checked the pdf, and discovered that during at least my last few typesetting sessions, the output wasstopping in the
middle of an enumerate environment.  In fact, neither the bibliography nor the index, together totaling maybe 8-10 pages, were appearing in the pdf.
But the stopping point was not where I had started inserting new material intent, but an item or two earlier.  Also, the (later) page numbers for subsequent “parts’, as well as
for the bibliography and index, still show up in the table of contents.

I tried to run bibtex and makeindex.  Bibtex showed some disturbing warnings, which I don’t understand:
This is BibTeX, Version 0.99d (TeX Live 2017)
The top-level auxiliary file: Coeur.aux
I found no \bibdata command---while reading file Coeur.aux
I found no \bibstyle command---while reading file Coeur.aux
(There were 2 error messages)
The makeindex run also has a disturbing error message (which I had not noticed earlier, since it said zero items rejected):
This is makeindex, version 2.15 [TeX Live 2017] (kpathsea + Thai support).
Scanning input file Coeur.idx...done (0 entries accepted, 0 rejected).
Nothing written in Coeur.ind.
Transcript written in Coeur.ilg.

The stopping point in the output is at a place where an enumerate environment inside an item ends.
All items in the environment are produced;  the next item does not begin.

At first I thought I might have made a mistake using mdwlist, which I used a couple of times to interrupt an enumeration of exercises, using the following format:




But as far as I can tell, all the \end{enumerate} and \begin{enumerate} commands within this interruption are properly matched up—and an earlier interruption is compiling fine.

I don’t even know where to begin trying to find and fix the problem.  Can anyone make a suggestion?

I’ll be happy to privately send any number of files (there will be plenty) if they are useful toward fixing this, which at the moment has me stopped cold in my tracks.

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155

Office    (617)627-3843
Dept.    (617)627-3234
Dept. fax    (617)627-3966

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/attachments/20210413/b859914e/attachment.html>
-------------- next part --------------
----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex

More information about the macostex-archives mailing list.