[OS X TeX] dvisvgm and ghostscript

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Oct 22 21:17:13 CEST 2020

> On Oct 22, 2020, at 2:08 PM, Ettore Aldrovandi <ealdrov at math.fsu.edu> wrote:
>
> Most likely .bash_profile is not the right startup file for that variable, because it’s only read by login shell. Try putting the same export command in .bashrc, open a new instance (new window or tab) of terminal and see if it works.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> —Ettore
>
> Ettore Aldrovandi
> Department of Mathematics, Florida State University
> 1017 Academic Way                *   http://www.math.fsu.edu/~ealdrov
> Tallahassee, FL 32306-4510, USA * * aldrovandi at math dot fsu dot edu
>
>> On Oct 22, 2020, at 13:18, Doris Behrendt via MacOSX-TeX <macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I want to export a tikz graphic to svg as described in the tikz manual. I’m on 10.15.7 and TeXLive 2020; I installed Ghostscript 9.53.3 from Dick Kochs Website, with the libgs.dylib.9.53 file included;
>>
>> I have the following line
>>
>> export LIBGS="/usr/local/share/ghostscript/9.53.3/lib/libgs.dylib.9.53”
>>
>> in my .bash_profile. When I call
>>
>> dvisvgm myfile.dvi
>>

>> the following error message shows up:
>>
>> processing of PostScript specials is disabled (Ghostscript not found)
>>
>> It seems I have to use the option —libgs=… explicitly, but how?
>>
>> dvisvgm --libgs=LIBGS myfile.dvi throws the same error; also does
>> dvisvgm --libgs="/usr/local/share/ghostscript/9.53.3/lib/libgs.dylib.9.53" myfile.dvi
>>
>> when I check the path via echo $LIBGS the path from above is printed.
>>

>> Can somebody give me a hint what I’m overseeing?
>>

>> Doris

Howdy,

Hmmm... if you're using the default shell in Catalina, zsh, .bash_profile, .bashrc and .profile won't be read be default even when using Terminal which is a login shell.

But the direct use as Dick Koch mentioned should still work fine. I've checked it on mys system and I successfully converted a pdf to svg.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)