[OS X TeX] Biber

Ettore Aldrovandi ealdrov at mail.math.fsu.edu
Tue Oct 20 19:44:02 CEST 2020

> On Oct 20, 2020, at 13:20, Joseph Wright <joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk> wrote:
>
> But that should be true for all GUI applications, no? TeXShop as I say seems happy enough.
>
> (Surely Finder, rather than zsh or whatever, should be in charge here. It's the must-be-running process on a Mac, and is certainly what launches all other graphical programs.)

No, I don’t think so. It should come from the window server, and that’s under a login shell. But not the Finder. (One would have to check into launchd.)

That’s why it’s always been problematic to put things like PATH variables in shell startup files. You don’t know for sure that they’re going to be picked up.

>> There are two ways, more in fact, to solve this:
>> 1. Launch TeXworks from inside a terminal with “open -a TeXworks” and it should pick it up.
>
> Does work, but hardly 'smooth' :(

I agree with you, there.

—Ettore

Ettore Aldrovandi
Department of Mathematics, Florida State University
1017 Academic Way                *   http://www.math.fsu.edu/~ealdrov
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4510, USA * * aldrovandi at math dot fsu dot edu