[OS X TeX] Can I process a dtx file with TeXShop's dtxmk engine and LuaLaTeX?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Oct 20 14:11:53 CEST 2020

> On Oct 19, 2020, at 10:42 PM, Joe Heafner <heafnerj at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I maintain the mandi package and it’s currently being rewritten to support Unicode, mainly for mathematics. The documentation will necessarily need to be be compiled with lualatex, and so will documents using the new version of the package. The latter part is easy for me to handle, but I have some questions about the first part.
>
> I use a single dtx file from which the actual package and documentation and a few other files are derived all in one run using TeXShop’s dtxmk engine. Does the dtxmk engine need any modifications to “know” to use LuaLaTeX on the dtx file? Do I need to do anything in particular in the dtx file? I see the file ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Latexmk/platexmkrc samples/for dtx/info.txt says to put
>
> % !TEX TS-program = pdflatexmk
>
> directly after the first line of the dtx document, but my dtx file has dtxmk instead.
>
> So, what should I do to make sure my dtx file is processed with LuaLaTex?
>
> I hope this all made sense.
>
> Joe Heafner
> Sent from one of my Macs

Howdy,

The dtxmk engine is set to use pdflatex for typesetting but it really only changes how the index is created.

The platexmkrc file that is supplied in that sample (I'll attach a copy here too) makes that change and frees you to use any of the standard typesetting engines, (pdf/xe/lua)latexmk. So to use lualatexmk simple replace dtxmk with lualatexmk (assuming you activated that engine by moving it from ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Latexmk up two levels to ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines) and place the platexmkrc file in the same folder as the dtx file.

PS: glad to see that someone is using that engine.