[OS X TeX] CM fonts and Illustrator

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Oct 8 19:39:19 CEST 2020

> On Oct 8, 2020, at 10:35 AM, George Gratzer via MacOSX-TeX <macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu> wrote:
>
> Thank you for your help, I’m almost there.
>
> But
>
> /Library/TeX/Root/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/lm
>
> Contains the “lm” fonts:
>

> <Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 11.31.55 AM.png>
>
> And
>
> /Library/TeX/Root/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/cm-unicode
>
> Contains the Unicode fonts:
>

> <Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 11.33.24 AM.png>
>

> So I still get the warning:
>

> <Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 11.29.18 AM.png>
>
> I would need the folder with cmr, etc.
>
> Thanks,
>
> GG
>
>> On Oct 8, 2020, at 4:03 AM, Luis Sequeira <lfsequeira at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> If I remember correctly, you have to make the fonts available to your macOS applications.
>> The standard way to do it is using FontBook.
>>
>> Since you already have mactex installed, you should have the fonts in:
>>
>> /Library/TeX/Root/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/lm
>>
>> and/or
>>
>> /Library/TeX/Root/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/cm-unicode
>>

>> (for the Latin Modern or a Unicode version of Computer Modern, respectively)
>>

>> Open FontBook, create a new collection named TeX (not mandatory, but it helps to keep things organized).
>> Do File->Add Fonts...
>>
>> To quickly access these locations, you can press Command-Shift-G and paste the path above.
>> Then select the fonts and click Open.
>>
>> LS

Howdy,

Try this in Terminal

ln -s /Library/TeX/Root/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype ~/Library/Fonts/TeXOTFonts

which should create a folder, TeXOTFonts, in your Library folder, ~/Library, that has all the standard open type fonts supplied with TeX Live. The nice thing about this is that if you update your TeX Live to the 2021 version it will automatically point to the new active open type folder since you are linking though the /Library/TeX/Root which always points to the root of the active TeX distribution.

Then open Font Book and Drag and Drop the TeXOTFonts folder onto the Font Book icon. This should force Font Book to check the fonts in that folder and they should get entered in Font Book's list of fonts.

Hope that helps.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)