[OS X TeX] How use git with TeXShop projects?

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 23:54:49 CEST 2020

I’d like direct advice and pointers to documentation on using a revision control system with both a local repository and a repository in the cloud for projects done in TeXShop.

Considerations:

	- Except for having downloaded many archives from github, I’ve never used a revision control system before

	- I’m agnostic with respect to the particular revison control system. I suppose Subversion and GIT are the chief contenders today.  Or RCS?

	- I’m aware of http://www.tug.org/pracjourn/2007-3/scharrer/scharrer.pdf <http://www.tug.org/pracjourn/2007-3/scharrer/scharrer.pdf>, but that’s a bit old (and Windows oriented)

	- Are there any hooks in TeXShop for facilitating use of a revision control system directly within it?

Although I’m engaged in a single-author project, my understanding is that using a revision control system would be a lot safer than my current, “manual” system of (i) having the Mac utility app Forever Save 2 automatically save each TeX file each time it’s saved within TeXShop; (ii) daily backing up the current files in the project into a .tar via a little shell script; and (ii) of course the usual local backup to TimeMachine and remote backup to a cloud-based system such as AWS S3/Glacier.

---
Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101	Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334