[OS X TeX] hyperref

Nitecki, Zbigniew H. Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu
Sun May 31 21:19:42 CEST 2020

I have tried to insert hyperreferences into a \documentclass{article} latex document, with the preamble line
\usepackage[colorlinks, backref]{hyperref}
which had worked on several previous \documentclass{book} documents.

The result is that my back references, and the table of contents, show up in red, but there seems to be no link (that is, clicking on any of this red text in the pdf
fails to take me to the referenced part of the document.

What could I have overlooked?  I doubt that hyperref works only in the book document class.

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155