[OS X TeX] latex+Ghostscript vs Xelatex vs...?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri May 29 00:04:06 CEST 2020

> On May 28, 2020, at 4:36 PM, Nitecki, Zbigniew H. <Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu> wrote:
>
> Herb:
> I realize this is a truly stupid question, but when it comes to these settings I am truly stupid.
> I have been using Xelatex either by putting "% !TEX TS-program = XeLaTeX” at the top of my source file (more accurately, by clicking on “Macros->Program->xelatex” from the tool bar in the TS editor) or by selecting xelatex via the popdown program menu.
> I presume that to set the option in xelatex to “-synctex=1” I need to get into the console (which I dread doing without guidance.
> Can I get instructions for dummies on how to do this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Zbigniew Nitecki
> Department of Mathematics
> Tufts University
> Medford, MA 02155
>
> telephones:
> Office    (617)627-3843
> Dept.    (617)627-3234
> Dept. fax    (617)627-3966
> http://www.tufts.edu/~znitecki/
>

>> On May 28, 2020, at 16:56, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On May 27, 2020, at 7:35 PM, Nitecki, Zbigniew H. <Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> synchronize text between source (.tex) and output (.pdf)—that is, highlighting text wit command in one and hitting return does not get me to corresponding text in the other—in fact, nothing happens.  Is there a way to get the best of both worlds—no messing up of text but synchronization of source and output?
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> The command line for xelatex should have the `-synctex=1` option set to produce the necessary synctex file.
>>
>> If you are using TeXShop you Cmd-Click at the location you want in either the .tex or .pdf to go the (approximate) matching location in the .pdf or .tex file respectively. The Cmd-1 shortcut just swaps between the Source and Preview window.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Howdy,

Ok... Open the ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines folder; you can use the
TeXShop->Open ~/Library/TeXShop Menu item and then open the Engines folder found there. Double click the XeLaTeX.engine file and it will open up in TeXShop. The contents I have in my version is

#!/bin/tcsh

set path= ($path /Library/TeX/texbin /usr/texbin /usr/local/bin)
xelatex  -file-line-error -synctex=1 "$1"

and if yours matches the -synctex=1 option is already there. Then, after typesetting, the sync between Source<->Preview will work. NOTE: if you File->Trash Aux Files that synctex file will also be trashed and then the sync won't work.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)