[OS X TeX] latex+Ghostscript vs Xelatex vs...?

Nitecki, Zbigniew H. Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu
Thu May 28 02:35:05 CEST 2020

 A strange interaction between \pspictures using pst-ode and the text following them (discussed by several people on this list earlier, in response to my question) means that if I use Ghostscript to generate my document the text following one of my pst-ode pictures, if it appears on the same page, loses
the spacing between words (as if I had forgotten to get out of mth mode).  This is fixed if I use Xelatex.  However, when I use Xelatex, I lose the ability to
synchronize text between source (.tex) and output (.pdf)—that is, highlighting text wit command in one and hitting return does not get me to corresponding text in the other—in fact, nothing happens.  Is there a way to get the best of both worlds—no messing up of text but synchronization of source and output?

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155