[OS X TeX] Problem after TeXLive-2020 upgrade

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Jul 9 19:38:55 CEST 2020

> On Jul 9, 2020, at 11:28 AM, Vinay K. Ingle <vingle at ece.neu.edu> wrote:
>
> Thanks Richard. I reinstalled MacTex-2020 and then started the TLU. It then updated 400+ packages, which completed successfully.
> Now when I compile the old file, I do not get the previous error but it reports errors in .png files, something like
>
> Runaway argument?
> "Fnl_s1a.png" \edef \Gin at ext {\Gin at sepdefault \filename at ext }\ifx \Gin at ext \ETC
> .
> ./2020SM1_EECE3468_Final_Exam_solutions.ltx:74: Paragraph ended before \@tempa
> was complete.
> <to be read again>
>                    \par
> l.74
>
> Again, this file used to compile correctly before.
>
> Also, now the LaTeXit app does not work properly (no output but no errors either).
>

> ---------
> Regards,
>
> Vinay K. Ingle

> Prof. Vinay K. Ingle                                 vingle at ece dot neu dot edu
> Electrical and Computer Engineering                Voice:  (617) 373-3008
> 304 Dana Research Center                                FAX:  (617) 373-8970
> Northeastern University
> 360 Huntington Avenue
> Boston, MA 02115-5000, USA
>

> On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 10:50 AM Richard Koch <koch at math.uoregon.edu> wrote:
> Vinay,
>
> You say that you installed MacTeX-2020 just recently, and then you say that TeX Live Utility reported "no updates available". Actually, there would be LOTS AND LOTS of updates of a recent MacTeX-2020, namely all released between last April and today. In fact, just this morning there were many new updates.
>
> I suspect you did "check for updates" in TeX Live Utility, which is only a check if there is a new version of TeX Live Utility. Please read the instructions in the TeX Live Utility Help menu and do a real update of your TeX system.
>
> Richard Koch
>

> Hi Richard,
>
> Thanks for a quick reply. When I started TeX Live utility (version 1.36), it reported "No Updates Available". Also,
> kpsewhich pdftexcmds.sty
> returned nothing. However, when I looked into the
> /usr/local/texlive/2020/texmf-dist/tex/generic/pdftexcmds/
> directory, I noted two files: pdftexcmds.lua and pdftexcmds.sty. So the necessary file is in the distribution.
>
> Is there a problem with proper alias?
>
> Thanks again.

Howdy,

Can you create a minimal example file along with a .png file that shows this problem on your system? It's difficult to analyze without a log file to look at and an example to work with.

PS: If you ever placed packages in your personal tree (root at ~/Library/texmf) or texmf-local tree please remove them and test again.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)