[OS X TeX] MacTeX 2020 won't rebuild font maps info

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Apr 6 17:01:37 CEST 2020

> On Apr 6, 2020, at 9:46 AM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Just installed latest MacTeX 2020 pre-test April 5 (under macOS 10.15.4), used TeXLive Utility to select it as the default distribution.
>
> When I LaTeX a file calling for MathTime Pro 2 fonts (which I have in m ~/Library/texmf tree, and which work just fine under MacTeX 2019), I get error:
>
> kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 0+330/600 --dpi 330 mt2mif
> gsftopk: fatal: map file 'psfonts.map
> 1 not found.
> mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for mt2mif.
> mktexpk: perhaps mt2mif is missing from the map file.
>
> Evidently, since there have never yet been any packages to update in TeXLive 2020 (in fact, a valid server is not found), the usual automatic process of running the appropriate updmap has not been effected.
>
> This is a “Catch-22” about which I complained last year, when TL 2019 was first released.
>
> How can I continue to use TL 2020 and get those font maps updated?
>
> (As usual, I’m totally confused by the updmap for user vs. sys, and afraid of totally messing things up by running them manually. There has been so much information about incorporating a user’s own font tree posted over the years, that it’s hard to locate the currently correct information.)
> ---
> Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
> 503 King Farm Blvd #101	Home (240)-246-7240
> Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334

Howdy,

Since you have the fonts in your personal tree (starting at ~/Library/texmf) you must use the user version of updmap. Do you have an updmap.cfg in ~/Library/texmf/web2c? If so simply running `updmap-user` (NO `sudo`) will add your personal fonts to your personal map file which will be located in ~/Library/texlive/2020/texmf-var/web2c.

Right now MacTeX-2020/TeX Live 2020 have not been released so using TeX Live Utility (or tlmgr directly) to update will not work. NOTE: that personal map will NOT be updated automatically when there are updates to the TeX system fonts; once TLU/tlmgr is back up make sure you have `Automatically enable fonts in my home directory' checked in TeX Live Utility->Preferences.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)