[OS X TeX] Testing Hardened Runtime in Basic TeX: no texdoc in Basic TeX!

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Thu May 23 17:36:40 CEST 2019

To my great surprise and horror, I just discovered that BasicTeX-2019-Hardened does NOT include texdoc (and hence also that the TeXShop Help > Show help for package menu item will not work, either).

That makes this BasicTeX a definite no-go for me.

I’m switching back to the full TeXLive-2019.

> On 17 May2019, at 5:38 PM, Richard Koch <koch at uoregon.edu> wrote:
>
> Folks,
>
> I'm hoping to recruit MacTeX users, particularly those running BasicTeX, to test a new distribution which will replace the current one this fall. This task should be easy:
>
> a) Download the following install package, which has size 105 MB
>
> 	https://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/BasicTeX-2019-Hardened.pkg
>
> 2) Install the package. It will not overwrite BasicTeX-2019 or MacTeX-2019, and it should behave just like BasicTeX-2019
>
> 3) Typeset your standard projects. If you run into difficulty, switch to your copy of BasicTeX-2019 and try again. If BasicTeX-2019 works but BasicTeX-2019-Hardened fails, write me and we will try to diagnose the problem.
>
> I already tried pdflatex, xelatex, and lualatex on a 120 page document. All three worked fine.
>
> Feel free to use TeX Live Utility to upgrade BasicTeX-2019 and BasicTeX-2019-Hardened during the test. This is not entirely optimal, since if any actual binaries are updated, then the hardened originals will be replace by ordinary new copies. But we seldom update actual binaries during the year.
>
> Later this summer, I'll call for a similar test of MacTeX-2019-Hardened. Let's wait for that test until after the Apple Developer Conference in the first week of June to see if Apple has further information about hardened runtimes.

---
Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101	Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334