[OS X TeX] TeXShop 4.26 - using SageMath

Richard Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Fri Mar 8 03:09:37 CET 2019

Murray Eisenberg,

> On Mar 6, 2019, at 1:00 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> One of the changes described for TS 4.16 regards using TeX and Sage together. And in file
> ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Sage/About\ Sage.pdf we read:
>
> 	"The application[Sage]  will have a longer name, currently SageMath-8.6.app. Long ago, the name of this application could be changed, and then for a time it couldn’t be renamed. The name is again changeable. …”
>
> With my macOS Mojave configuration, however, I find that if I rename SageMath-8.6.app to SageMath.app, then when I start Sage, which should automatically start the Jupyter server and open jupyter in Safari, instead I get an error that the SageMath python cannot be found,

I was not too pleased to read this bug report and answered way too abruptly. Meanwhile, Eugene was in the midst of our second largest snowstorm in the last 50 years and I had just returned from five days in spent in Seattle Motels waiting for a flight back.

Today the snow is melting and I'm apologizing. We depend on bug reports and very much appreciate this one. I rewrote the section on Sage, and the rewrite will be in the next version of TeXShop.

I cannot see a statement one way or the other in the Sage documentation about renaming Sage, but your experience and my subsequent experiments here show that renaming is at best "iffy." . I wish the Sage folks would change this, but in the meantime
we have to adopt to them.

It seems to me that using symbolic links we could arrange matters so updating Sage wouldn't be so tricky. I tried several variations of that idea and wasted a couple of hours before giving up.

Again, thanks for the report!

Dick Koch