[OS X TeX] TeXShop 4.31: confusion about Tags & Index menus

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Jul 31 22:04:11 CEST 2019

> On Jul 31, 2019, at 2:49 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The Changes.pdf document for TeXShop 4.31 has on its first page an item beginning “There is a minor change in updating the Tags and Index menus.” I’m confused about two aspects of this change:
>
> (1) I have no Index item in either the main program menu bar or in the source editor toolbar (which is set in Icon Only mode).
>
> 	- If I use Customize Toolbar, I see no Index item to add to the toolbar. (I do already have the ColorIndex item in the toolbar.)
>
> 	- In TeXShop’s Preferences menu, I don’t find any any place on any of its panes to add an Index item to the program’s menu bar.

Howdy,

I believe that should be a Labels not Index. Both Tags and Labels are on the default Source Window Toolbar.

> (2) I do have the Tags item in the program’s menu bar, and the Tags icon in the source window toolbar.
>
> 	The Changes document recommends _not_ having the Tag [sic] menu in the menu bar and the toolbar set in Icon Only mode (which I’m already using) or Icon and Text mode.
>
> 	- But how does one remove the Tags menu from the menu bar?  I tried removing the Tags icon from the source window toolbar and restarting TeXShop. But still there’s a Tags item in the main program menu bar, even though, of course, there’s now no Tags icon in a source window toolbar.

In the Editor Section on the Editor Tab of TeXShop->Preferences there is a `Tags Menu in Menubar' check item. This should be turned OFF (i.e., un-checked).

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)