[OS X TeX] LuaTeX/LuaLaTeX?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Dec 24 02:30:14 CET 2019

> On Dec 23, 2019, at 5:30 PM, Gray, Gary L <euler at psu.edu> wrote:
>
> I turned in final grades this afternoon, so I had a few minutes with less than a mountain of stuff to do. David Craig's message prompted me to spend that few minutes digging into LuaTeX. I now kind of understand what it brings to the table, but I am having trouble with a few of details that are important to me. I know the following.
>
> (1) I should not load inputenc -- my source should just be UTF-8.
>
> (2) I should not load fontenc or textcomp and I should load fontspec.
>
> (3) I should not use any package that changes fonts and that I should use fontspec's commands to do so.
>
> With this in mind, I have a few questions.
>
> (1) I know squat about fontspec and the documentation is 70 pages, so what fontspec commands should I be aware of?
>
> (2) I know I can use all my TrueType and OpenType fonts with LuaTeX, but almost all my documents have a lot of math, so how does it set the math if use, say Optima or Charter, as my main font?
>
> (3) The most important question of all -- is there a up-to-date resource that I can go to that is something like "LuaTeX for LaTeX Users" or "Getting Started With LuaTeX"?
>
> All the best and Happy Holidays!
>
> Gary

Howdy,

There are a few packages that are meant to be universal, in the sense that they do the right thing with (pdf/xe/lua)latex in setting up the fonts. One example is newtxtext and newtxmath by Micheal Sharpe: run `texdoc newtx` in Terminal and take a look at the documentation.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)