[OS X TeX] Query support for Islandic characters

Rowland McDonnell rowland.mcdonnell at physics.org
Sat May 19 21:58:39 CEST 2018

>Hi
>I’m asking for help - I’m using a template from IEEE as follows
>bare_conf.tex,   V1.3
>%% 2007/01/11
>
>My co-authors name ha the following Islandic characters: ð and  Þ
>I found a way to write that middle ‘d’ and the first initial of her surname this way:
>
>\usepackage[icelandic]{babel}
>\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>
>And using the following:
>{\dh}r{\’u}   {\TH}horstein
>
>However, when that compiles the Abstract looks like this:
>Útdráttur
>And the References section reads:
>HEIMILDIR
>The captions for Tables and Figures are also incorrect - Tafla and
>Mynd respectively. Everything else looks ok.

I had a quick search and found a solution here:

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/82993/how-to-change-the-name-of-document-elements-like-figure-contents-bibliogr#82994

What you need to do is add the following to your document
preamble, after \usepackage[icelandic]{babel}:

\addto\captionsicelandic{%
   \renewcommand{\abstractname}{Fizz}%
   \renewcommand{\tablename}{Whizz}%
   \renewcommand{\refname}{Boom}%
}

although (obviously) with the correct Icelandic terms instead of
Fizz, Whizz, and Boom.

Hope this helps,
Rowland.