[OS X TeX] Install From Disk

Richard Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Wed Jul 25 04:35:50 CEST 2018

It sounds to me that you didn't follow the instructions we wrote for the DVD! Below is the file "MacTeX Install Part 1". Note that this file says "this is not optional and if you skip it, then you won't have TeX Live." You certainly read that, and you followed the instructions, and therefore you
have TeX Live.

However, the end of the instructions say "Now Double click the MacTeX Install Package to install it." If you did that FIRST before installing TeX Live, you'll probably be in trouble. I recommend doing that step again.

The step installs Ghostscript and the GUI applications. BUT it also installs a date structure which configures TeX Live so it works with our applications. Maybe you did a custom install and just got the first two of the three pieces.

All of the GUI programs are configured to find TeX at /Library/TeX/texbin. This location is a symbolic link, which indirectly points to the TeX Live binaries. The final piece of the install npackage would install this link and the remaining symbolic links. It wouldn't change TeX Live in
any way.

Please read the document again and follow it line by line. (No need to repeat the TeX Live installation).

If this doesn't fix things write again.

Dick Koch
koch at uoregon.edu