[OS X TeX] TeXShop: Indexing support by command completion

Florian Grammel florian.grammel at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 21:52:49 CEST 2018

Thanks a lot for the swift reply!

> I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish

So I haven't been clear enough :)

To compile a name-index I need to markup the keywords manually because this sort of texts is notoriously unreliable as to the forms in which it mentions the names: To stick with the example, sometimes it says "Charlemagne", sometimes "Charles", sometimes "Carolus magnus", sometime only "the king" -- sometimes not even spelled by modern conventions.
(So I don't think glossaries are the right tool, but I might be wrong as I have hardly used the package)

At the first occurrence I determine how I want him to be called and, if necessary, be differentiated from other Charleses in the index (e.g. by dates and roles), perhaps I also need to add a sort key:
	\index[names]{Charles 1 at Charles I \emph{Charlemagne} (742--814), emperor}
Whenever I meet the guy again I cannot remember all this.
So I'd like to be able to begin to type a part of the name and would like TeXShop to show me all the already marked occurrences that start with the same letters. Just like it shows all \label when I type \ref{… and hit F5

When I add all previously mentioned entries in the way I have described it is possible to write "nCh" and toggle through all Charleses pressing "esc" and choose the appropriate one.

> but if you Edit the file from within TeXShop (Source->Command Completion->Edit Command Completion File…) and Save it TeXShop seems to re-read the file without having to restart.

There's the rub: I was hoping to use a few bash-lines in the TeXShop-engine to modify the contents of my .ind-file and add them to CommandCompletion.txt at every compilation.

That's why I'd need to reload the file…

> PS: take a look at the glossaries package and try using the pdflatexmk engine.

Best,
Florian