[OS X TeX] TeXShop: Indexing support by command completion

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Apr 20 21:02:18 CEST 2018

> On Apr 20, 2018, at 1:30 PM, Florian Grammel <florian.grammel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've been searching high and low (i.a. https://tex.stackexchange.com/q/278749/6819) for a macOS LaTeX-editor that supports indexing in a way similar to the way labels and bib-entries are supported by command completion.
> emacs' RefTeX can do this, but I'd really prefer to stick with TeXShop or a similar editor.
>
> I also once suggested such a feature for TeXstudio (https://sourceforge.net/p/texstudio/feature-requests/1222/):
>
>> I was wondering whether it would be feasible to add auto-completion for creating indices.
>> I'd image it should be possible to reuse the mechanism for auto-completion of cite-keys and get it to read the .idx (or .idn if that's easier) files...?
>> As indices can get very long and one doesn't always remember how a particular entry starts, it would be a huge help if the auto-completion would search all parts of the existing index-entries (perhaps eligible as an option in Preferences)
>> E.g.:
>> Typing "\index{TeX…" in texstudio would then also list entries like:
>> 	\index{CTAN (Comprehensive TEX Archive Network)}
>> 	\index{LaTeX@\LaTeX}
>> 	\index{macro languages!LaTeX@\LaTeX}
>> perhaps even with highlighting the matching letters.
>> An ideal solution for me would also be aware of multiple indices as offered by the index-package.
>
> But there haven't been any reactions -- not really surprising considering the huge number of feature requests.
>

> I still hope that some editor -- preferably TeXShop -- will support this out of the box one day. But for now I am trying to find an intermediate solution.
>
> As TeXShop's command completion has been easily configurable for a while, I have taken a closer look at whether it could be abused for indexing.
> A hacky solution could be to pre-process my .ind-file to a list of entries like "nCharlemagne:=\index[names]{Charlemagne (742--814), emperor}", inverse the list and append it to CommandCompletion.txt with every compilation. It is not ideal, as it will not be completely up to date, but it should serve reasonably well.
>
> This process sort of works, but only if I restart TeXShop after adding the lines which obviously isn't really practical.
>
> So my question is: Is there a way to make TeXShop re-load CommandCompletion.txt without relaunching?
>

> Other ideas to achieve my goal would also be highly appreciated!
>

> Thanks in advance and best regards,
> Florian.

> Florian Grammel
>
> Copenhagen, Denmark

Howdy,

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish but if you Edit the file from within TeXShop (Source->Command Completion->Edit Command Completion File…) and Save it TeXShop seems to re-read the file without having to restart.

PS: take a look at the glossaries package and try using the pdflatexmk engine.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)