[OS X TeX] Spelling corrections

Nicolae Garleanu garleanu at berkeley.edu
Wed May 25 12:09:18 CEST 2016

Thanks for the answer, Dick. I am pretty sure that the behavior does not occur without the “automatic correction” feature, but even with it I don’t see why it has to. It doesn’t usually happen, though, and my recollection is that it’s only for longer words — I should have isolated one such instance, checked that the behavior is consistent in that case, and included it in my initial post. I’ll report back; either way, I understand that it would be Apple behavior.
Nicolae

On May 24, 2016, at 18:49, Richard Koch <koch at uoregon.edu> wrote:

> On May 23, 2016, at 12:39 AM, Nicolae Garleanu <garleanu at berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am experiencing a behavior that is probably intended, but I find irritating. I  believe I configured texshop to use cocoa spell, following instructions from the texshop site.
>
> The behavior is that the checker corrects my spelling even if I only pause in the middle of a word; I would much rather that it only do that after a space or punctuation mark. Is there a setting I can change? A different checker/setup?
>
> Thanks!
> Nicolae

Nicolae,

I don’t see this behavior with CocoASpell running on El Capitan. For example, when I type

	this is a wierd

the word “wierd” is identified as misspelled only when I type the space following “d”.

In the TeXShop edit menu, there are three spelling items, one after another:

	Check Spelling
	Check Spelling While Typing
	Check Spelling Automatically

Is it possible that the final item is checked on your machine? If so,
uncheck the last item and see if that helps.

The “Check Spelling Automatically” item causes the editor to suggest word
completions and alternate spellings while typing, and sometimes to fix things
automatically. This is a feature Apple provides for all programs written in
Cocoa.

I find the feature extremely annoying. I added the menu item
so users could easily turn it off (and not so they could easily turn it on)!

Dick Koch