[OS X TeX] How tell MacTeX 2016 about fonts in user tree?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Jun 7 16:23:57 CEST 2016

> On Jun 7, 2016, at 9:13 AM, Adam R. Maxwell <amaxwell at me.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 7, 2016, at 04:04 , Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>>
>> Certainly not ``unconditionally''! :-) (Also, Dick should NOT put that into the MacTeX install script!!! That would produce a global map file in ~/Library/texlive/YEAR/texmf-var behind the user's back and, from then on, TLU would HAVE to run `updmap`. The philosophy of MacTeX not touching the HOME folder is correct.)
>>
>> Running
>>
>> updmap
>>
>> (NO `sudo`, NOT `updmap-sys) ONCE in the lifetime of the distribution is not a big deal AFAIC.
>
> I understood Murray to be talking about a problem that would be solved by running updmap as user. Of course it would only run if the user already has an updmap.cfg file in TEXMFHOME, as I check for that at present. I meant that I could run it at launch, regardless of whether the user has installed/removed/updated.
>
> -- adam

Howdy,

Then you would also have to run `sudo updmap-sys` just in case there is an updmap.cfg file in .../texmf-local/web2c. And doing this on every run surely wastes more time over the life of the distribution that the responsibility of running the required application just once when you first install the new distribution.

I'd leave things exactly the way they are. If a person has added personal fonts I don't think that's asking too much. And, of course, they can ask on this list a get a quick response too.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)