[OS X TeX] Skim badware?

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 18:27:57 CET 2016

I am writing a "lean" edition of the magnum opus, one that includes procedures with cross-references (with the incredible tcolorbox, cleveref and, of course, hyperref). So, I was looking for external pdf viewers which can split the view, the way TeXShop does, and which I could recommend to my students.

For windows, I found <http://icecreamapps.com/blog/top-free-pdf-readers/> .

For the Mac, it seems that only Skim can do it and when I tried to download it I got the following:

> uBlock Origin has prevented the following page from loading:
> http://skim-app.sourceforge.net/
> Because of the following filter
> ||sourceforge.net^$document
> Found in: uBlock filters – Badware risks

I know that a number of people on this list have long used Skim.

But it indeed seems that Source Forge is not what it used to be anymore. (See <https://blog.l0cal.com/2015/06/02/what-happened-to-sourceforge/>)

CNET does offer Skim but now I am having cold feet and I did not try to download it: Is it safe and, more to the point and above all, can I recommend <http://download.cnet.com/Skim/3000-2054_4-161182.html> to my students?

Does anyone have an idea what I should/can do? (Other than to forget about a lean edition.)

Hopeful regards
--schremmer