[OS X TeX] Install fail

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Sep 3 21:03:55 CEST 2015

> On Sep 3, 2015, at 1:39 PM, Ettore Aldrovandi <ealdrov at mail.math.fsu.edu> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 3, 2015, at 14:31, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>>

>> Howdy,
>>
>> Thanks, I was going to do that next. I believe he has already changed his shell to bash in Terminal preferences. So he should make sure to also put the profile you provide onto the Desktop and the run
>
> I don’t see how changing the shell into Terminal.app can change your default shell. It only changes the shell run into the terminal. Not your login shell. That’s way I wanted to see the difference between $SHELL and $shell.
>
> Changing your default (=login) shell is a job for chsh.

Howdy,

Thanks for the information. I knew that the change in Terminal->Preferences was local. I figured it was just easier to try to figure out what was going on in a shell that used only one file (he has no .profile, .bash_profile, etc.).

What I don't understand is why, when using the same file as he had before but with /Library/TeX/texbin substituted for /usr/texbin he got a completely unusable path variable.

>> I wonder if there has to be a re-boot after doing that since the OS may cache that information at startup.
>>
>> The profile, etc., that I sent was the same as the ones he had but with /Library/TeX/texbin inserted werever /usr/texbin was before. But the path variables he printed out were all messed up.
>
> Those were all wrong. Those files are supposed to call the path_helper, otherwise the chain of initialization is broken. (In particular, the files in /etc/paths.d become useless, preventing XQuartz from working, for example.)

If that would have worked I would have then gone back to using the real default profile that you provided.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)