[OS X TeX] Install fail

Ettore Aldrovandi ealdrov at math.fsu.edu
Thu Sep 3 20:39:27 CEST 2015

> On Sep 3, 2015, at 14:31, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>

> Howdy,
>
> Thanks, I was going to do that next. I believe he has already changed his shell to bash in Terminal preferences. So he should make sure to also put the profile you provide onto the Desktop and the run

I don’t see how changing the shell into Terminal.app can change your default shell. It only changes the shell run into the terminal. Not your login shell. That’s way I wanted to see the difference between $SHELL and $shell.

Changing your default (=login) shell is a job for chsh.

> I wonder if there has to be a re-boot after doing that since the OS may cache that information at startup.
>
> The profile, etc., that I sent was the same as the ones he had but with /Library/TeX/texbin inserted werever /usr/texbin was before. But the path variables he printed out were all messed up.

Those were all wrong. Those files are supposed to call the path_helper, otherwise the chain of initialization is broken. (In particular, the files in /etc/paths.d become useless, preventing XQuartz from working, for example.)

—Ettore