[OS X TeX] how to add Greek character

Peter Teeson peter.teeson at icloud.com
Sun Oct 11 20:11:36 CEST 2015

Hi - TeX newbie here.  TeXShop 3.54 TeX with TeXLive2015 , OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
….
\usepackage{graphicx}				% Use pdf, png, jpg, or eps§ with pdflatex; use eps in DVI mode
								% TeX will automatically convert eps --> pdf in pdflatex
\usepackage{amssymb}
…...

I searched but I can’t find out how to typeset the Greek in this:

.\footnote{Hoi polloi (Ancient Greek: οἱ πολλοί, hoi polloi, "the many"), is an expression from Greek that means the many or, in the strictest sense, the majority}

The above is in my .tex but the Greek symbols do not show up in the pdf.

Sorry to bother you but I tried…

Thanks…

Peter