[OS X TeX] how to add Greek character

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Sun Oct 11 20:22:02 CEST 2015

> On Oct 11, 2015, at 11:11 AM, Peter Teeson <peter.teeson at icloud.com> wrote:
>
> Hi - TeX newbie here.  TeXShop 3.54 TeX with TeXLive2015 , OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
> ….
> \usepackage{graphicx}				% Use pdf, png, jpg, or eps§ with pdflatex; use eps in DVI mode
> 								% TeX will automatically convert eps --> pdf in pdflatex
> \usepackage{amssymb}
> …...
>
> I searched but I can’t find out how to typeset the Greek in this:
>
> .\footnote{Hoi polloi (Ancient Greek: οἱ πολλοί, hoi polloi, "the many"), is an expression from Greek that means the many or, in the strictest sense, the majority}
>
> The above is in my .tex but the Greek symbols do not show up in the pdf.
>
> Sorry to bother you but I tried…
>
> Thanks…
>
> Peter

The easiest way is to use xelatex or lualatex and choose a main text font which includes Greek in whatever form you need---monotonic, polytonic and ancient. See for example the documentation for the rather new package Tempora, which is based on a Times clone for Latin text and includes polytonic and ancient Greek forms as well as Cyrillic. It is also possible, though with a more complex setup to use pdftex and babel. This is also described in the Tempora documentation.

Michael