[OS X TeX] Contents of MacTeXtras

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat May 3 00:27:43 CEST 2014

On May 2, 2014, at 3:42 PM, Joseph Wright <joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk> wrote:

> On 02/05/2014 15:45, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>> TeXworks will no longer be installed by MacTeX-2014 to attempt to save space in that package. Note that at this time MacTeXtras doesn't include TeXworks, which has a few major missing features (e.g., it can't Print the pdf or source files) as of the present version 0.4.5 (r.1280). I need votes for/against adding TeXworks to MacTeX.
>
> I'd strongly urge it be retained: it's currently available for
> Win/Mac/Linux and installed as standard for both Win (MiKTeX/TL). That
> makes it a good 'default' for teaching/introducing (La)TeX to new users
> without getting into platform dependencies.
>
> As an example, for the UK-TUG 'Beginners LaTeX' sessions we use TeXworks
> for all of our demos as they then look the same for all of our
> attendees: we always have some Mac users in addition to the Win
> majority. We also stress that this is only one of many editors!
>
> (Disclaimer: I use TeXworks routinely both on Mac and Windows.)
> --
> Joseph Wright

Howdy,

I have a bit of a typo in the last sentence of mine above. It should read: I need votes for/against adding TeXworks to MacTeXtras (NOT MacTeX --- it won't be there). You can always download TeXworks directly from <https://www.tug.org/texworks/>.

Does TeXShop look or behave that much different than TeXworks on the Mac? After all, TeXShop was the original inspiration for TeXworks. I'd guess that an introductory course wouldn't use any of the features of TeXworks that aren't the same or very similar to the ones in TeXShop.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)