[OS X TeX] Contents of MacTeXtras

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Fri May 2 22:42:53 CEST 2014

On 02/05/2014 15:45, Herbert Schulz wrote:
> TeXworks will no longer be installed by MacTeX-2014 to attempt to save space in that package. Note that at this time MacTeXtras doesn't include TeXworks, which has a few major missing features (e.g., it can't Print the pdf or source files) as of the present version 0.4.5 (r.1280). I need votes for/against adding TeXworks to MacTeX.

I'd strongly urge it be retained: it's currently available for
Win/Mac/Linux and installed as standard for both Win (MiKTeX/TL). That
makes it a good 'default' for teaching/introducing (La)TeX to new users
without getting into platform dependencies.

As an example, for the UK-TUG 'Beginners LaTeX' sessions we use TeXworks
for all of our demos as they then look the same for all of our
attendees: we always have some Mac users in addition to the Win
majority. We also stress that this is only one of many editors!

(Disclaimer: I use TeXworks routinely both on Mac and Windows.)
--
Joseph Wright