[OS X TeX] Contents of MacTeXtras

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri May 2 21:39:54 CEST 2014

On May 2, 2014, at 2:29 PM, Juergen Fenn <schneeschmelze at googlemail.com> wrote:

>> I really need and appreciate input to help make the decision.
>
> Dear Herb,
>
> what comes to my mind is whether we need MacTeXtras at all?  You are
> right in saying that these are really huge amounts of data. I suggest
> to give up MacTeXtras and to replace it with an option in TeX Live
> Utility to install those programmes on demand so that everyone can
> decide by himself whether he wants to have them on his system. I have
> never used MacTeXtras because I have installed most of these
> programmes separately anyway.
>
> Apart from that, still running OS X 10.6.6 for while I would
> appreciate if you carry on supporting 10.5 and 10.6.
>
> Regards,
> Jürgen.

Howdy,

TeX Live Utility is specifically designed to be a front end for configuring and updating TeX Live. That's it!

It will NEVER have anything to do with other GUI applications or configuring the things that have to do specifically with the Mac side of the configuration (e.g. what the TeX Distribution Preference Pane is supposed to do).

There are many folks that don't even know about the existence of things that they can get that deal with the TeX Live distribution installed by MacTeX.

Finally, there is nothing that forces anyone to download MacTeXtras unles they are already curious about those things.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)