[OS X TeX] OS X TeX] How install & use genuine Adobe Times-Roman small caps fonts?

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 02:38:55 CEST 2014

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 22:11:38 -0700, Michael Sharpe <msharpe at ucsd.edu> wrote:

> On Aug 11, 2014, at 5:37 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You suggest I compare the Adobe small caps with the newtxtext (equivalently, TeX Gyre Termes) fonts. But the problem is I don't know how to use the Adobe small caps fonts in LaTeX: that's where I started!
>>
>> (Sorry, I was careless in saying I'd possibly use mtpro2. I indeed know that's for math characters only, and that I still have to invoke separately some text fonts, say just by using "\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{ptm}".)
>
> I made an addon package for newtx that has an option for using Adobe small caps. I'll add this to the newtx package eventually, but it needs further testing, as I don't own those fonts. (I'm pretty sure my addons are OK based on the vpl files, but some visual evidence would be reassuring.)
>
> The addon is currently available from
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3825336/TeX/index.html
>
> under the name newtxc.zip. Unzip, cd to the level where fonts and tex are at the top level and run
>
> /bin/cp -Rfp * ~/Library/texmf
>
> To run tests, you must enable the map file ztmsc.map, which may be done by entering the lline
>
> \pdfmapfile{+ztmsc.map}
>
> in your preamble, if using pdflatex. The pfb files must be named ptmrc8a.pfb and ptmrb8a.pfb and copied into fonts/type1/public/newtx.
>
> To use, place in your preamble the line
>
> \usepackage[adobesc]{newtxtext}
>
> followed by any math loading commands such as the packages mtpro2 or newtxmath. Any feedback you might have will be valued.
>
> Michael
>
> ------------------------------

(1) Is the ztmsc.map file you refer to the same as the ztm.map file you specified in an earlier post to this thread? That is, containing:

    ptmrc8r Times-RomanSC " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <[8r.enc <ptmrc8a.pfb
    ptmbc8r Times-BoldSC " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <[8r.enc <ptmbc8a.pfb

(2) After processing ptmr8a.afm and ptmbc8r.afm with ...

    % !TEX TS-program = tex
    \input fontinst.sty
    \declareencoding{UNSPECIFIED}{8r}
    \needsfontinstversion{1.933}

    \installfonts
    \transformfont{ptmr8r}{\reencodefont{8r}{\fromafm{ptmr8a}}}
    \transformfont{ptmrc8r}{\reencodefont{8r}{\fromafm{ptmrc8a}}}
    \transformfont{ptmb8r}{\reencodefont{8r}{\fromafm{ptmb8a}}}
    \transformfont{ptmbc8r}{\reencodefont{8r}{\fromafm{ptmbc8a}}}
    \installfamily{T1}{ztm}{}
    \installfont{ztmrc8t}
      {ptmrc8r,%
     ptmr8r,%
      newlatin}
     {t1}{T1}{ztm}{m}{sc}{}
    \installfont{ztmbc8t}
      {ptmbc8r,%
      ptmb8r,%
      newlatin}
     {t1}{T1}{ztm}{b}{sc}{}
    \endinstallfonts

    \bye

... and running the generated .pl and .vpl through pltotf and vptovf, to what, if anything, do I rename the resulting .fd files -- or an other files -- before using them in conjunction with newtxext?

(3) What specifies to use (Adobe) Times as the body text font? Or do I need to include a \rmdefault{ptm} command for that?

(4) Does any of this help to use MathTime Pro 2 fonts for math to accompany Adobe Times for text, including Adobe Times-Roman small caps?  How?

(Thank you for your continuing work and assistance on this. Without it I'd be even more lost than I am, since my ignorance of TeX font issues is boundless.)

---
Murray Eisenberg		murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101		Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334