[OS X TeX] OS X TeX] How install & use genuine Adobe Times-Roman small caps fonts?

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Fri Aug 15 07:11:38 CEST 2014

On Aug 11, 2014, at 5:37 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> You suggest I compare the Adobe small caps with the newtxtext (equivalently, TeX Gyre Termes) fonts. But the problem is I don't know how to use the Adobe small caps fonts in LaTeX: that's where I started!
>
> (Sorry, I was careless in saying I'd possibly use mtpro2. I indeed know that's for math characters only, and that I still have to invoke separately some text fonts, say just by using "\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{ptm}".)

I made an addon package for newtx that has an option for using Adobe small caps. I'll add this to the newtx package eventually, but it needs further testing, as I don't own those fonts. (I'm pretty sure my addons are OK based on the vpl files, but some visual evidence would be reassuring.)

The addon is currently available from

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3825336/TeX/index.html

under the name newtxc.zip. Unzip, cd to the level where fonts and tex are at the top level and run

/bin/cp -Rfp * ~/Library/texmf

To run tests, you must enable the map file ztmsc.map, which may be done by entering the lline

\pdfmapfile{+ztmsc.map}

in your preamble, if using pdflatex. The pfb files must be named ptmrc8a.pfb and ptmrb8a.pfb and copied into fonts/type1/public/newtx.

To use, place in your preamble the line

\usepackage[adobesc]{newtxtext}

followed by any math loading commands such as the packages mtpro2 or newtxmath. Any feedback you might have will be valued.

Michael