[OS X TeX] typing em dash (---)

Nicolae Garleanu garleanu at haas.berkeley.edu
Tue Sep 17 00:33:37 CEST 2013

Thanks to all who replied. While I had one particular question I mind,
there were actually two in my posting, as follows.

1) How not to have --- be replaced with an em-dash in the source? This was
solved by unchecking smart dashes in

	Edit -> Substitutions -> Show Substitutions

The solution is gratefully acknowledged.

2) Supposing one does have an em-dash in the source, can that translate
into an em-dash in the output? Not in my set-up. For instance, a minimal
example would be as attached (if possible), and pasted below. Output as
expected given my original posting, i.e., first dash becomes a blank
space. I am just running pdflatex in the standard installation.

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\begin{document}
ad ‹ asdas --- as asd
\end{document}