[OS X TeX] typing em dash (---)

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Sep 16 22:51:05 CEST 2013

On Sep 16, 2013, at 3:40 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE> wrote:

> Am 16.09.2013 um 22:28 schrieb Herbert Schulz:
>
>> It will be set for the current document and all documents subsequently opened and carry over to the next session.
>
> In which part of the TeX source file is this information saved? Doesn't the substitution take place during input when some space character is typed afterwards?
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>  Pete

Howdy,

It isn't saved in the document at all but as part of TeXShop's preferences AFAIK.

If it's set the -- and or are transformed into long dashes (most fonts don't seem to differentiate between em- and en-dashes though) in the file. I.e., if I start with `Smart Dashes' unchecked and write --- with a space afterward and then check `Smart Dashes' and do it again ONLY the second --- is transformed to –. Saving the file, closing TeXShop, and then re-opening it it still shows --- –; i.e., it doesn't re-transform the document.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)