[OS X TeX] Installing mbboard (changed to TikZ stuff)

Don Green Dragon fergdc at shaw.ca
Sat Dec 7 02:53:34 CET 2013

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your reply, but . . . Whoa! That «Whoa» is the one you demand of your horse when you want the creature to slow down! If you don’t have a horse ….. well …...

After reading your comments, I (see below)

On 05Dec2013, at 12:47 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE> wrote:

> Am 05.12.2013 um 19:10 schrieb Don Green Dragon:
>
>> What I don’t understand is «How is TeXShop finding those fonts files?»
>
> It doesn't. Never. (Because it's just a backend which displays text files in some preferenced font and PDF files in the fonts they use.)
>

>> Is there some further step that should be undertaken, or did your magic line take care of everything?
>
> Yes! First check whether your TeX Live (based) installation already has the package installed. I have for example
>
> 	category:    Package
> 	shortdesc:   A Scientific Times-like font with support for mathematical typesetting.
> 	longdesc:    XITS is a Times-like font for scientific typesetting with proper mathematical support for modern, Unicode and OpenType capable TeX engines, namely LuaTeX and XeTeX. For use with LuaLaTeX or XeLaTeX, support is available from the fontspec and unicode-math packages.
> 	installed:   Yes
> 	revision:    30782
> 	sizes:       src: 8269k, doc: 165k, run: 1365k
> 	relocatable: Yes
> 	cat-version: 1.107
> 	cat-date:    2013-05-28 19:52:13 +0200
> 	cat-license: ofl
> 	collection:  collection-fontsextra
>
> already installed. So I don't wonder that text or math setting (miraculously) happens.

First, I hauled out «TeX Live Utility.app» and quickly it filled its window with all manner of data about ‘Updates’.
Then the ‘Packages’ button was clicked. Another torrent of data, so I looked for stuff about TikZ and found 13 entries, some of which were ‘Installed’ and others were 'Not installed’, six of the latter. Then I realized that the references seemed to be with respect to . . ./texlive/2012/. . . and there was a complaint about the 2013 version NOT being installed. I thought that would have been done when I set up MacTeX2013, but maybe not. Something asked if I wanted to upgrade to TeX Live 2013 and I replied YES.

Anyway, I asked «TeX Live Utility.app» to install those six TikZ packages and I got some «Install Succeeded» messages, so that sounds good. In fact, those TikZ packages are now labelled ‘Installed’.  :—)

As to «TeX Live Utility.app» the information panel says

Modified: Tuesday, 29 October 2013 at 8:01 PM

which is fairly recent, but not today. The version number is 1.17.

However, I found a CTAN panel that offered upgrades to  TeX Live 2013 and so I downloaded some stuff from CTAN, namely «install-tl-unx.tar.gz» which on unpacking created a directory «install-fl-20131206» within which there is the Unix Executable File «install-tl» which went to work and produced:
—————————
		<<a few lines omitted>>
 <O> options:
   [X] use letter size instead of A4 by default
   [X] allow execution of restricted list of programs via \write18
   [X] create all format files
   [X] install macro/font doc tree
   [X] install macro/font source tree

 <V> set up for portable installation

Actions:
 <I> start installation to hard disk
 <H> help
 <Q> quit

Enter command: I
Installing to: /usr/local/texlive/2013
/Users/doncarvel/Downloads/install-tl-20131206/install-tl: mkdir(/usr/local/texlive/2013/) failed, goodbye: Permission denied
logout

[Process completed]
—————————————

Looks to me like I screwed up somewhere. The only entries that I made were:

(1) I responded to "Import settings form previous Tex Live installations:» with `y’

(2) After the prompt «Enter command:» I entered `I’ meaning go ahead and install.

As you can see above, the message "failed, goodbye: Permission denied, logout» appeared.

At this point, I’m so freaked out that I did a Restart. After the restart, I still cannot find any evidence that TeX Live 2103 is installed here. Went through the same process as noted above, but with respect to the prompt (1) answered `n’. That made no difference, same error message.

Anyway, in /usr/local/texlive/ I DO NOT have a 2013 folder, but I do have ones for 2011 and 2012.

My main concern is: Is TeXShop, LaTeX, and TeX still working? After a quick look at a 345 page doc, the answer appears to be Yes! :—)

No need to point out my stupidity when it comes to TeX Live, I’m quite aware to such. :—)

don green dragon
fergdc at shaw.ca