[OS X TeX] Computer Modern in a Mac program

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Oct 28 19:22:27 CET 2012

Am 28.10.2012 um 17:22 schrieb Doug McKenna:

> Pete Dyballa wrote -
>
>>> It's gotta be something simple, right?
>>
>> Yes: CMU! Computer Modern in Unicode encoding and in OpenType format:
>> /usr/local/texlive/201?/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/cm-unicode.
>>
>> You can create in Font Book a Library and populate it with the font files
>> from the given directory.
>
> I had all these installed, visible to FontBook, but none of my attempts
> to use them from within my code worked.

Can you describe these?

> And I must not quite have my head wrapped around "in
> Unicode encoding" yet.  That means the sigma glyph is accessed using
> something other than a character code of "58, that's for sure.  I'm
> working at a pretty low level here.

Ant the wrong one! The TeX encodings are scrap. At least for use outside of TeX. The character N-ARY SUMMATION lives in Unicode at the point U+2211 (the number is hex; in decimal it's 8721, in UTF-8 it's 0xE28891, in XHTML it's ∑ or ∑).

> Michael Welsh replied -
>
>> Look at the "TeX Gyre" fonts, which IIRC, were installed with MacTeX.
>> There is also Latin Modern -
>> http://www.gust.org.pl/projects/e-foundry/latin-modern/download
>
> I will experiment with the Latin Modern fonts after installing them.  But
> once installed, it's still unclear to me how I refer to that Latin Modern
> font corresponding to what TeX uses for the summation glyph.  Do these
> fonts have a different character-code-to-glyph-mapping from what TeX
> uses?  If not different, that's one thing less to warry about.

The TeX Gyre fonts are Unicode encoded. Because they are meant to be used by Mac OS X applications. And Mac OS X (and also the last editions of classical Mac OS) uses Unicode. So they need to have a natural encoding. (Not every application applies a CMap-ing.)

In Mac OS X you can use its "Character Palette", which has to be enabled in System Preferences: Language & Text -> Input Sources: √ Keyboard & Character Viewer + √ Show Input menu in menu bar – in Mac OS X 10.6. In younger instances I've seen changes.

You can also use UnicodeChecker from http://earthlingsoft.net.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Clovis' Consideration of an Atmospheric Anomaly:
        The perversity of nature is nowhere better demonstrated than by the fact that, when exposed to the same atmosphere, bread becomes hard while crackers become soft