[OS X TeX] clickable url in Pdftex

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sun May 27 02:21:55 CEST 2012

On May 26, 2012, at 4:22 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On May 26, 2012, at 3:01 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>
>> In the interest of leanness, I thought to replace some background
>> in the Magnum Opus by references to Wikipedia.
>>
>> I wrote the Magnum Opus with hard copy in mind but it turns out a
>> number of people read it on line which made me think of making the
>> url clickable. So, I put
>>
>> \usepackage{hyperref}%[pdfborder={0 0 0}]
>>
>> in the preamble and documents that compiled very nicely until then,
>> including stuff like:
>>
>>> (See \url{http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arithmetic})
>>
>> immediately failed with the message:
>>
>>> LaTeX Warning: You have requested, on input line 250, version
>>>              `2009/07/21' of package kvoptions,
>>>              but only version
>>>              `2007/10/18 v3.0 Keyval support for LaTeX options (HO)'
>>>              is available.
>>>
>>> (/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/latex/hyperref/pd1enc.def)
>>> (/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/latex/latexconfig/
>>> hyperref.cfg)
>>> /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/latex/hyperref/hyperref.sty:
>>> 3896: Undefined control sequence.
>>> l.3896 \DeclareLocalOptions
>>>                          {%
>>> ?
>>
>> However, line 250 is in the middle of a big block of text that is
>> commented out.
>>

> Howdy,
>
> At the time of the error it isn't your file being read in but
> hyperref.sty.
>
>> As for "kvoptions", I installed Mac Tex a few months ago when I
>> went from 10.4.11 to 10.5.8.  and I forgot how to find the version
>> number via the terminal.
>>

> Did you do any manual updating (e.g., updating hyperref manually)?

I am understood to be crazy but nobody ever said I was that crazy.

> When then did you install MacTeX-2010? Please go to the System
> Preferences->TeX Distribution preference pane and see which TeX
> distribution active.

Actually, I did sort of a clean install of everything and, TeXwise, I
am running "Full TeX Live 2010 Distribution".

> Unfortunately, TeX Live 2010 can no longer be automatically updated
> (will someone tell me I'm wrong?). Updating things like hyperref or
> kvoptions is really tricky because there are too many interdependent
> packages.

That's what I was saying.

> Your best bet is to download and install MacTeX-2011 (since you now
> on OS X 10.5 it will work) from <http://www.tug.org/mactex/2011/>
> and, once it's installed, immediately run TeX Live Utility to get
> all the updates available between the time TeX Live 2011 was
> released and the time it was frozen (in preparation for the release
> of TeX Live 2012---still in pretest mode). That should give you a
> completely consistent set of files.

Tonight I am not quite up to taking the necessary deep long breath.

> Don't be afraid, you can always change back to TeX Live 2010 via the
> TeX Distribution preference pane.

Actually, I can even go back to 10.4.11 which is now on an external
hard drive but runs fine.

Grateful regards
--schremmer