[OS X TeX] a texdoc problem

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon May 14 22:36:23 CEST 2012

On May 14, 2012, at 3:09 PM, Vic Norton wrote:

> I recently bought a new iMac. I have installed MacTeX on it with the latest
> MacTex-2011.mpkg.
>
> Everything is working perfectly except for "texdoc", which doesn't work at all. This is what I see on Terminal:
>
> ~$ texdoc
> /usr/texbin/texdoc:7: module 'texdoc.main' not found:
> 	no field package.preload['texdoc.main']
> 	[kpse lua searcher] file not found: 'texdoc.main'
> 	[kpse C searcher] file not found: 'texdoc.main'
> 	[kpse All-in-one searcher] file not found: 'texdoc'
>
> I have no idea what this is all about. My new MacTeX installation is the same as the one I had on my old iMac. As before
>   /usr/texbin
> is a symbolic link to
>   /usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/x86_64-darwin
> which contains texdoc, a symbolic link to
>   /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf/scripts/texdoc/texdoc.tlu
> There was no 'texdoc.main' anywhere on my old system, and texdoc worked fine there.
>
> Any ideas on how to solve this problem? Thanks for your help.
>
> Regards,
>
> Vic

Howdy,

Have you updated the distribution using TeX Live Utility (or tlmgr)? There may have been an update of texdoc along the way.

By the way... TeX Live 2011 is now frozen so you may get one more run of TeX Live Utility to update your TeX Live 2011 (if you haven't done that this week) and that will be it. Work has started on TeX Live 2012 (and MacTeX-2012 too, of course).

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)