[OS X TeX] Publisher of Case Western Reserve Law Review Seeks Computer Modern Distribution

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Thu Mar 15 13:01:18 CET 2012

On Mar 14, 2012, at 10:33 AM, Bobby Cheren wrote:

> As the recently elected Publisher of Volume 63 of the Case Western Reserve Law Review, I am considering switching over to Computer Modern. This is fitting, as Donald Knuth is one of our Math Department's most illustrious alumni. The rub is I need a good single file distribution of the typeface that works on both Mac and Windows. Some outfits seem to sell this, but I would be shocked if it is unavailable otherwise. I think I am just looking in all the wrong places. I searched around CTAN, but only found the founts in separate files.
>
> Any suggestions on something I can distribute via emails to associates? We have an annual turnover rate of fifty percent at the journal, so this needs to be dead simple.
>
> Thanks in advance for suggestions.

My suggestion would be to use a nice OpenType version of Latin Modern --- you need for the files to be something which can be installed on all operating systems and used w/ a wide variety of programs:

Project overview here:

http://www.gust.org.pl/projects/e-foundry/latin-modern

article in TUG:

http://www.tug.org/tugboat/tb24-1/jackowski.pdf

All of the OTF fonts are here:

http://www.gust.org.pl/projects/e-foundry/latin-modern/download/lm2.004otf.zip

I'd suggest developing a subset archive of only the fonts needed by your templates for your own distribution. In my experience, people complain about the ``clutter'' of the different optical sizes and many variants.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer