[OS X TeX] simpdftex can't find font, but pdflatex can

Nathan Sanders professor.sanders at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 02:25:47 CET 2012

On Mar 1, 2012, at 8:03 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Mar 1, 2012, at 6:54 PM, Nathan Sanders wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the reply, Herbert!
>>
>> On Mar 1, 2012, at 5:52 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>>
>>> It appears that you've installed the TengwarQuenya ttf version of the font but not the pbv version (if that even exists). As far as I know latex->dvips->ps2pdf (i.e., simpdftex) can't use ttf fonts while pdflatex can use them.
>>
>> The pfb files exist (in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/type1/local/).  So what do I need to do to make them visible to simpdftex?
>>
>> More generally, how can I make sure that the appropriate font files are visible when I'm using simpdftex and when I'm using pdflatex?
>
> Howdy,
>
> Did you run
>
> sudo texhash
>
> (or --- sudo mktexlsr) after installing them?

Yes.  As I said, this font worked fine last year.  The very same document that gave me problems this week was working fine last year at this time (it's a handout for a repeat class).

> Is there more than one map file?

No, just one.

> Is there some option for the tengwarquenya package that set up for dvips rather than pdflatex? I have no familiarity with that package and I can't find it on CTAN.

Ah, no, there is no option, but the documentation does say that I can edit the map file, replacing .tff with .pfb.  So, I just did that, and then texhash and updmap-sys.... but I still get the same error (/usr/texbin/dvips: ! Couldn't find header file: TengwarQuenya.ttf).  How do I get the psfonts.map updated correctly?  It has a scary warning at the top not to edit it manually!  :-)

Thanks, we're much closer than I got by myself!

Nathan

--
Nathan Sanders
Department of Linguistics