[OS X TeX] Fonts in TL2012

Michael Welsh yomcat at yomcat.geek.nz
Fri Jul 27 01:27:05 CEST 2012

On 27/07/2012, at 10:54 AM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE> wrote:
> Am 27.07.2012 um 00:33 schrieb Michael Welsh:
>
>> yomcat:web2c yomcat$ locate rcomic8r
>> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/tfm/microsoft/comicsans/rcomic8r.tfm
>
> Michael,
>
> as I already mentioned: this file plays no role. At least yet. It was already found.
>
> Other fonts where also found: /usr/local/texlive/2012/../texmf-local/fonts/truetype/microsoft/comicsans/comic.ttf for example. Why is a PostScript Type 1 font file also needed? Can you locate this one? I presume: no! Because your locate command looks for file names containing the string "rcomic8r". So locate should list rcomic8r.tfm, rcomic8r.pfb, maybe more. Your error can also be that the PostScript Type 1 font file is rcomic8a.pfb… The "raw" PostScript Type 1 fonts are usually in the Adobe standard encoding, 8a.

I ran that locate command because the error I get now (I made a cfg file with ``Map comicsans.map'' in it, and ran the sudo -H commands in Herb's doc) is :
!pdfTeX error: pdflatex (file rcomic8r.pfb): cannot open Type 1 font file for reading

So, this looks like pdflatex is looking for rcomic8r.pfb, which doesn't exist, hence it can't open it, and it fails.

I just figured it out -- it's because I don't have italic versions of comicsans and I was using a textit{} command. Remove it, and everything magically works.