[OS X TeX] Malayalam and other Indian languages on Mac

NMPOST7 nmpost7 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 00:01:34 CEST 2012

On 07/07/2012 23:45, Axel E. Retif wrote:
> On 07/07/2012 04:31 PM, NMPOST7 wrote:
>
>> I have TeXlive 2011, but as I am on a virtual machine (Parallels) I have found
>> no way of using the DVD.
>
> Before deciding which Linux distribution I would use, using a MacBook Pro I no
> longer have, I installed with Parallels several distros: Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora,
> openSuse..., and installed TeXLive on all of them. I can't remember exactly all
> the steps needed, but I can tell you for sure there is a way to have the virtual
> machines ``grab'' the CD or DVD. It's in the settings, with the virtual machine
> not running.

Well, I do have a MacbookPro. It is the first generation with the Inel
processor. It is still running Tiger!!!  I haven't tried that command. From 1999
upto 2009 I worked on SuSE linux and then switched to Mac.
So I need to try ma hand at linux again. I shall have a look at it.

I need to try Peter's suggestion of compiling the malayalam packet on Mac to get
the preprocessor running under mac. He succeeded. I did not have the nerves to
try it for fear of messing my Tex system, about which I have hardly any
knowledge. What little I have is too risky to try the things I mention.

I have an old laptop (HP) that was running some kind of M$. I installed Ubunto
on it successfully. I need to reinstall, as I do not remember the log in.
I have a problem with the laptop. It is a used one and the power unit I got is
not the original. It has a way of giving up at the most crucial moment :(
Else I would have tried my Texlive 2011 on it.

There is time...

cheers
suren