[OS X TeX] LaTeX question

Gary L. Gray glgray at me.com
Fri Aug 10 04:11:03 CEST 2012

Hi All,

After trying everything I could think of and searching the web, I have been unable to solve a formatting problem.

I would like to create a list for which each entry is a displayed equation. As you can see in the following simple example (the last item is commented out -- more on that soon), LaTeX pushes the baseline of the equation well below the baseline of the bullet. If I wrap the displayed equation environment in a \raisebox and raise it zero length, the baselines align perfectly.

\documentclass[12pt,fleqn]{article}
\usepackage{amsmath}

\begin{document}

\begin{itemize}
\item
\begin{equation*}
y = \int \sin x \,dx + x^{2}
\end{equation*}
\item
\raisebox{0pt}{
\begin{equation*}
y = \int \sin x \,dx + x^{2}
\end{equation*}
}
%\item
%\raisebox{0pt}{
%\begin{align*}
%y &= \int \sin x \,dx \\
%&\qquad{} + x^{2}
%\end{align*}
%}
\end{itemize}

\end{document}

If you now uncomment the content of the last item, it fails to typeset. This happens for every multiline displayed equation (e.g., align, multline, gather, etc.). Does anyone know how to raise multiline displayed equations in the same way I have done for the equation* equation?

Thank you.

Gary