[OS X TeX] LaTeX conversion to eBook?

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Mon Apr 30 14:01:02 CEST 2012

On Apr 26, 2012, at 1:15 PM, Doug McKenna wrote:

> What sorts of capabilities are there in the ePub3 spec that are much
> better than TeX/LaTeX?

It's a flattened, simplified .html-like representation of a document w/ CSS intended to be displayed on a machine w/ a low-power processor, and at various font and screen sizes, so must reflow, so one can't readily do nice hyphenation (actually, it's turned off in all the viewing programs I've seen) or justification.

> I'm just trying to get a handle on each system's strengths and weaknesses.

ebooks afford flexible, convenient viewing at the expense of appearance on the screen

pdfs afford total control over on-screen appearance at the expense of flexibility (a given layout must be done for a particular screen / font size) and convenience (if you print a .pdf it takes up much more room than a file on a device).

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer