[OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest, Vol 49, Issue 4

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 22:49:26 CET 2011

On 11/6/11 3:00 PM, macosx-tex-request at email.esm.psu.edu wrote:
> Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 17:14:22 -0400
> From: Murray Eisenberg<murrayeisenberg at gmail.com>
> Subject: [OS X TeX] where put MathTimePro2&  Lucida files?
>
> With MacTeX/TeXLive 2011 under Snow Leopard, should the PCTeX files for
> the MathTimePro2 and Lucida fonts go into the tree at
>
>     /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local
>
> or should they go, instead, into the tree at
>
>     ~/Library/texmf
>
> ?
>
> The help athttp://www.pctex.com/kb/74.html  says to use former
> (texmf-local).
>
> I seem to recall there was some issue concerning when runs updmap (or is
> it updmap-sys) in this regard.

I remember now why I tried to put the additional local font support
files in ~/Library/texmf: because on my iMac, that's on the internal HD,
whereas /usr is on the start-up SSD. The former has twice as much
capacity as the latter.

Is there a way to use ~/Library/texmf instead of
/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local that will avoid problems, e.g., with
errors or warnings when using TeXLive Utility, or otherwise? Or is it
just not a very good idea?

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305