[OS X TeX] RAM Disk, Flashmode+RamDiskBackup

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Mar 18 23:44:12 CET 2011

Am 18.03.2011 um 21:57 schrieb Claus Gerhardt:

> When running Flashmode, the noise created by my hard drive is quite
> annoying and today was the day when enough is enough. I created a
> 500MB RAM disk, saved my tex file to it and run Flashmode.
>
> I highly recommend this working practice, since F. also runs a bit
> faster.

This should be the preferred mode of operation with an SSD! It
prevents the device from "wearing out". The FLASH memory cells of an
SSD allow only a finite number of state changes (erase, over-write),
much less than with a spinning disk and much much less than in RAM. So
after some time the SSD's size will start to decrease (usually the
disks come with a few invisible GB as reserve for worn out disk space,
so the effect isn't visible at once).

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Who the fsck is "General Failure," and why is he reading my disk?