[OS X TeX] RAM Disk, Flashmode+RamDiskBackup

Claus Gerhardt claus.gerhardt at uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Mar 18 21:57:23 CET 2011

When running Flashmode, the noise created by my hard drive is quite annoying and today was the day when enough is enough. I created a 500MB RAM disk, saved my tex file to it and run Flashmode.

I highly recommend this working practice, since F. also runs a bit faster.

I also wrote a small application, RamDisBackup, which will backup the corresponding tex file on the RAM disk to

~/Documents

when it has been modified (checked every minute).

A detailed instruction how to create a RAM Disk, running RamDiskBackup and the application itself are part of the Flashmode.dmg

You need OS 10.6, though the shell command to create a RAM disk should also work on 10.5 (untested, but quoted from instructions available on the internet).

Claus